Sunday, October 28, 2012

MoFo #28 - Vegan Unplugged - duh

If you know who Sandy is and you don't have a copy of Jon Robertson's Vegan Unplugged and a 5 day pantry stash, well, then you'd better make some plans to evacuate on over to my house.

Keep the book with your pantry stash.  This is one instance where I recommend a real book over an e-book.  Not so helpful if your battery has run dry...

But to keep you entertained while you're still charged, check out Jon's novel Permelia Lyttle's Guide to the End of the World.  I won't dish any spoilers, just read it already.

And don't forget, animals need a plan, too!  Gary the cat's emergency pet preparations.



Here's my current emergency can stash (emergency Buffy DVDs to the left for power/laptop power, but no internet/cable situations.)  To keep the stash fresh, if you have the means, donate what you don't use to a food pantry at Christmas and replenish for the new year.  The full recommended 5 day list will only run you about $70 bucks and can be found for less if you shop store brands and for sales.


Right now despite it not even being stormy yet, I'm in the "using up fresh stuff I have" phase.  However, I'm prepared to be off the grid and will probably cook some emergency grub even if we don't lose power.  I had a lot of fun cooking unplugged during Irene last year where I didn't even lose cable.  Here's a sample.  Hit the links for the original blog posts...


White Beans and Greens Soup





Pasta with Creamy Pumpkin Walnut Sauce



Layered Tortilla Skillet

 Last Resort Lasagna




Stay safe everyone!

No comments: