Thursday, March 18, 2010

Gardein Parm - and who knew Tofutti cheese was good?

OK, I didn't realize I miss cheese singles. You know the ones individually wrapped in plastic. I picked up some Gardein tuscan breasts and wanted a little cheesy topping, but the store I was in didn't have much in the way of fake cheese options. So I took a chance and picked up some Tofutti Mozzarella slices. The tofutti slices are good just plain, but melted really nicely over the gardein in the oven.The sauce that the tuscan breasts come in is just OK. I needed sauce to serve with spaghetti anyway, so I made a really quick marinara consisting of a big can of crushed tomatoes, 1 tsp salt and 2 Tbs sugar. I added a few good shakes of italian seasoning, and just heated up.

I added a dash of black truffle oil just because it's awesome, and had a good hunk of garlic bread on the side. Yummmm.

5 comments:

Gina said...

I never would have guessed that the Tofutti slices were good either...good to know, my husband loves those pre-sliced "cheeses".

The Kuntrageous Vegan said...

It's weird; but Tofutti slices are RIGHT ON flavor wise.

Vic Robinson said...

That looks yummy. I have not tried that Gardien product. Looks good.

Bianca said...

I knew! I LOVE the Tofutti slices. Unfortunately, my Whole Foods stopped carrying them, but some Kroger stores here still have them. They melt amazingly under a broiler!

miss v said...

the tofutti slices are my fave sliced cheese... not too bad!