Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Roasted vegetables and super cool Japanese rice

Nothing warms up the house on a cold winter's day like a 400 degree oven. I roasted some beets and butternut squash. I like to peel and dice the veggies before roasting, so each piece gets coated and crispy.
Here's the rice mix. It's Kagayaki brand premium short 6 grain rice. I got it at the Japanese grocery on 41st in NYC. It's a mixture of black rice, hulless barley, red rice, purple barley, rye berries and short grain brown rice. Let me say, this rice blend will force you to chew your food! It's very hearty and filling and is quite flavorful even just plain.

2 comments:

Karene said...

I love the rice and grain blends... especially in my bread stuffing, adds some lovely texture to it.

The Kuntrageous Vegan said...

OOOH i need that rice blend! chewing is very important for digestion ;0