Monday, May 4, 2009

Japanese cooking and other cookbooks.

Yes, I'm turning Japanese, I really think so.

I love this cookbook. Japanese Cooking Contemporary and Traditional. Daikon radish, shitake mushrooms, kombu, and weird new stuff like natto. I'm lucky to have several incredible Japanese groceries in and around NYC, so I have been able to find all the esoteric ingredients.

I originally got the book from herbivore, but they don't seem to currently have it in stock. Of course when I checked, I found many other cookbooks I now totally need to have.

I think a Taste of Thailand is up next.
If you don't yet have the Yellow Rose Recipes, check it out for great recipes including my favorite go to seitan cutlet recipe.

Back to the Japanese eating, there's also the non vegan book Japanese Women don't get Old or Fat. I got this from the library ages ago and found it a great resource for demystifying Japanese food. I wanted to read it again so I got it on the Kindle. I also found 2 great Japanese groceries in NYC right from the book. There are plenty of vegetable and tofu recipes, but I'm going to work my way through veganizing some of the non-veg ones.

Vegan Miso Broth
1 3inch piece dried kombu
4 dried shitake mushrooms
2 Tbs white miso paste
4 cups water

Place the kombu and shitake in cold water and bring to a boil. Let simmer about 5 minutes. Strain and add miso. Serve immediately. Makes two 2 cup servings. The ninja is a fan of this.

Save the mushrooms and kombu to make 2nd dashi which isn't quite as strong, but still tasty. You could cut the pieces up and add them with the soup and add tofu, but I like my miso brothy.

5 comments:

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Mmm. I love Japanese. That broth sounds very good.

I need to get YRR already.

Tara said...

I love Japanese! A nice miso broth, like the recipe you posted, is perfect on some many different occasions. I like it for breakfast! I'm pretty envious that you have so many cool Japanese groceries around you!

Anonymous said...

I read that book too about japanese women don't get fat...well she has some interesting ideas but I remembered some ppl were rather offended by some of the generalizations she made...and when I mean ppl, I meant Japanese from Japan ppl.

Anyhoo, she does share some interesting food habits which we could all use and yea we always skim what's useful to us.

And miso soup can totally hit the spot:)
Am sure yours taste oiiishi!

Bex said...

That book has been on my wishlist for a while. It looks and sounds great!

Jen Treehugger said...

Must try those Cutlets - I've kinda got my Seitan mojo back after having lost it due to an overload of Seitan goodies. Never tried cooking Japanese before....must try harder!