Sunday, May 10, 2009

J'aime la soupe et salade

Taking a break from my Japanese kick, I made a satisfying, but light French inspired dinner. Despite being non-vegan and heavily based on swilling champagne (oh, for the love of Veuve Clicquot) French Women don't get Fat is a nice reminder of the philosophies of the French diet.

When I studied in France in college, breakfast was coffee and yogurt, followed by second breakfast of a pain au chocolat or danish at school, lunch was a big meal at the school cafeteria or (shamefully) McDonald's, but most evenings, I had soup, salad, and baguette and butter at home with my host mother. I actually lost a few pounds during my stay in France.

Tonight's potage is roasted brussel sprouts, green bean, leek, and potato. You can make this with fresh vegetables, but I find it's a great way to use up leftover side dishes from other meals. I make this with leftover mashed potatoes or even french fries. I used Spike and sprinkled Penzeys 4S seasoned salt on top.

Potage

2 cups vegetables
2 small red potatoes
4 cups vegetable broth
Big pinch of some all purpose seasoning
Put all ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil. Simmer until the potatoes are done. Puree until smooth. You can use an immersion blender, or food processor, but I find the vitamix blender makes it perfectly smooth and velvety. Makes 2 generous servings or 4 smaller servings.

My favorite salad dressing is vinaigrette with a tomato blended in.

Tomato vinaigrette for 1 big salad or 2 side salads

2 TBS good olive oil
1 TBS good balsamic vinegar
Big pinch of a seasoning blend (if unsalted add a pinch of salt as well)
2 small roma tomatoes (fresh is better, canned works)

Blend together and adjust seasonings if necessary. I use a fine herbs blend that is heavy on the basil and tarragon.

Despite being chock full of vegetables and light on calories, 2 cups of soup and a big salad is a good volume of food and I find I am totally satisfied.

6 comments:

Vic Robinson said...

This all looks so good. I may look into french food.

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

Sounds good to me - I love using leftover veg for soups.

Tami said...

What a wonderful dinner!

Andrea said...

That salad looks amazing. I am putting a link to this site on http://www.rawpeople.com/?utm_source=A&utm_medium=B&utm_campaign=C for others to enjoy.

Bianca said...

The vinegarette sounds divine! I think I've had a tomato-based dressing before and really liked it. I'll keep this in mind. Au revoir!

Sindy said...

That looks simple and delicious! I like the idea of blending the tomato into the dressing!