Saturday, April 4, 2009

Vegan Eggplant Parmesan - Boston Style

OK, I don't know if this is really Boston style, but my friend's grandma in Boston made the best eggplant parm and I found out the secret ingredient was American cheese.

The preparation was rather impromptu. I sliced the eggplant in rounds. Then breaded using the triple layer method. Dredged the slices in chickpea flour, then in a soy sauce/balsamic vinegar/broth mixture, then in mazo meal seasoned with Italian seasoning mix. I actually then baked them instead of my usual frying. Still good. I made an American Cheeze sauce from the Uncheese cookbook. And I made a tomato sauce from some sun dried tomatoes and shitake mushrooms. Layered it all up and put it in individual small baking dishes. Then I flipped it upside down and drizzled it with some more thinned American Cheeze sauce. I think there's an Italian grandma out there that would be proud.

9 comments:

nora said...

WOW, that looks like a tower of swoonworthy eggplant lovin' yummmm

do you recommend the uncheese cookbook highly? i ask b/c i have soooo many cookbooks so i like to pick new ones wisely!

also, that's so cool that you got maple syrup (below) from your friend's own backyard. did it taste fresher than normal?

i'm adding you to my blogroll, i forgot last time!

Anonymous said...

errrrr I'm not a grandma...I'm not an Italian and I AM PROUD OF YA!!!

Holy cheezey goodness...please tell me there are left-overs babe!

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM i love eggplant dishes. i better stop before i start swearing and I'm a lady! lol

xoxoxo

Joanna said...

will you marry me??

i take that as a yes.

good. haha. now that's what i want for dinna!!

Jen Treehugger said...

Mmmmm looks so yummy! Don't you just loved piled food!

Tami said...

Gorgeous!

Tara said...

Lovely! I must admit that I'm not the biggest fan of eggplant, but I might change my mind if it was smothered in cheese sauce!

Anonymous said...

YUMMMMMMMMM! Looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

Wow...that un-cheese cookbook sounds great. I know a lot of people sing its praises. I should pick up a copy!

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Holy piled up goodness from Heaven! So gooey and perfect!