Saturday, March 7, 2009

Kombucha

Kombucha. Yeah, I had to look it up... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kombucha. Kombucha is a culture that is made into a tea or elixir and seems to pretty much cure anything from the common cold to underarm odor.

I try to buy the weird stuff at my local grocery store so they continue to stock off-beat stuff. So today I opted to try the GT's Organic Raw Kombucha Gingerade and Multi-green drinks. I have to say, they are pretty good. Only 60-70 calories in the whole bottle despite tasting sweet like soda. They're fizzy, too.

If you're not into buying experimental groceries...Tracy at Strawberry Hedgehog has an easy recipe for gingerade on her site. She also makes and sells AWESOME handmade vegan soaps.


I also made some 17 bean soup. Trader Joe's has a 17 bean dried soup mix that has a recipe on it, but you can usually find many bean soup mixes with the dried beans. Just remember that more than 239 beans and you'll be too-farty. Get it? It sounds funnier with an Irish accent...

Uh, the beans seem to have fallen to the bottom, but I assure you this is a hearty bean soup photo.

Many Bean Soup

2 cups mixed dried beans with similar cooking times, soaked
1 onion
2 celery stalks
2 carrots
2 small or one large potato (peeled or not, your call)
4 garlic cloves
1 can chopped tomatoes (big or small depending on how tomatoey you want your soup
1-2 Tbs thyme or Italian seasoning
1-3 tsp salt to taste
Olive oil for sauteing

Chop vegetables and saute in a little olive oil. Add beans, tomatoes, and seasoning and cover with 10 cups of water or broth. Bring to a boil, then simmer with lid partially covered on for about 1 and 1/2 hours. Test beans for doneness and adjust seasonings. You can puree part or all of the soup for a less brothy soup. I added a few dashes of Tabasco sauce before serving.

Today's cooking soundtrack is the Myths of the Near Future by the Klaxons. I saw them at Madison Square Garden in 2007 with Santogold when they opened for Bjork.

6 comments:

Gina said...

I tried that same brand of Kombucha a few weeks ago...the Guava flavor. Its really weird. Good, but not good enough for me to be a convert, haha.

Soup looks yummy!!

Tara said...

I love, love, love kombucha! My favorite is the Synergy brand "Cosmic Cranberry" flavor. Definitely an acquired taste, but so refreshing.
That soup looks very hearty, even if the beans are hiding!

Anonymous said...

hehe i always look stuff up from wiki. i dont think i can live without it....

wow the soup is deeeelicious! hehe farty...loves it. love your wit!

omg i saw santogold b4 she made it big and i was like whoa...she's like a lil mexican jumping bean although she isn't mexican...lol

disabled account said...

i like kombucha. it's easy to get in colorado too. a guy i met from boulder makes it for his mom. she healed her cancer with it...true story.
it restores alkalinity and helps flush out toxins. the fizziness is naturally occurring from the fermentation. you just have to get past the culture strands in there. sometimes they turn into big discs like mushrooms and they feel weird when you drink them.

the little one said...

I keep wanting to like Kombucha. The drinks taste so different depending on the brand and flavoring. I'm still looking for one that I actually want to drink again. As you say, it's supposed to be so good for us!

For the Love of Guava said...

mwahahaha... too farty... HAHAHA!! So I was literally sitting here reading your post in an irish accent under my breath like three times through... and furthermore will be the accent I read your blog in from now on...