Sunday, November 23, 2008

Dark Days Challenge #1 Local food-Roasted veggies

OK, here goes...

This is going to be a meal for me, but it's all veggie with no grain or protein (because that's what I had that was local.) I gathered what I could from the last Tarrytown, NY farmer's market of the year. Lots of perfect squash and potatoes, the cauliflower had frozen, and the sparse broccoli left was broken up and sold by the stalk, a few fresh herbs to dry and it's time to say good-bye 'til next Spring.

Roasted acorn squash stuffed with roasted broccoli, cauliflower, purple potatoes, leeks, carrots, and fennel.

Simple preparation, I roasted the veggies on a baking sheet and popped them in the squash half. Topped with toasted squash seeds, rosemary, oregano, sage and warmed in the oven.

This made two, so I'm saving one to bring for lunch this week.

5 comments:

disabled account said...

there's plenty of protein in that! and it's pretty too! ;)

Sophie said...

Wow Jenn, I didn't realize there was someone else taking this challenge this close to home! Lots of your foodshed intersects with mine!

In case you didn't know, the last day for the Brewster Farmer's Market is on Wednesday.

Most of my local food hot spots are in CT, but some are over the border in NY (Putnam and beyond). You may be able to find some resources on my Foodshed page at http://www.latebloomersfarm.com

Joanna said...

that is so pretty!! it looks like it could be in a magazine or even a centerpiece of a dinner table... yeah, i like the centerpiece idea better haha

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Gorgeous!! I agree with Joanna, that picture belongs in the cover of a magazine!

Bethany said...

looks awesome. I'm glad I read this because the squash seeds have tons of protein. I'm totally going to go that route for my dark days dish.